Posts by michaelbosbous:

Located seven miles north of the Island of Manhattan stands the ruin of the Glenwood/Yonkers power station associated with the New York Central and Hudson River Railroads. Built as a result of an act passed after 1900 to electrify the urban railroads of New York, the plant was designed by Minnesota-based architects Reed and Stern. Due to the infancy of electrical transportation power, the New York Central and Hudson River Railroad leadership commissioned the architects to build two power plants: the Glenwood/Yonkers plant and its sister plant in Port Morris of the Bronx.