Weaving in moments from The Eternal Space—a play about an untold story of the destruction of Penn Station featuring over 1,000 never before published photographs of the station by renown photographers Norman McGrath, Peter Moore, and Aaron Rose, along with the work of railroad aficionados Alexander Hatos, an employee of Pennsylvania Railroad and Ron Ziel, a railroad historian—our tour of the Remnants of Penn Station will cover the past, present and future plans for the central transportation hub in New York City, accompanying a hunt for the remaining pieces of the grand McKim, Mead & White station (of which there are many)! Each guest will also receive a framable, reproduction ticket of the first commuter ride into Pennsylvania Station from 1910.
- Get a comprehensive history of the past, present and future of Penn Station
- See the various indoor and outdoor old-station remnants hidden in plain sight
- Understand why so much of the current station is actually a remnant of the long forgotten original Beaux-Arts marvel
- Learn insider navigation tips for one of the most cramped and complicated transit hubs in North America
- See never-before-seen old station photos from the collections of three photographers who photo documented Penn’s life and demolition
What to know: The tour is 1.5 hours long; please consult with the MTA for weekend subway schedules and routing changes.
What to bring: Comfortable walking shoes
ABOUT YOUR TOUR GUIDE: Justin started his career as a New York city middle school English/Language Arts teacher on the Lower East Side dragging his students to historic sites across the city in an effort to bring NYC’s lesser known stories to life. That’s how he became co-creator of The Wonder City, a graphic novel that re-imagines New York City’s entire history currently running as a serial on Untapped Cities. He was also the playwright and producer of The Eternal Space, an off-Broadway play that centered on the demolition of New York City’s Pennsylvania Station. It was with this production and one simple tweet that he fell head over heels for Untapped Cities whom he partnered with for his Remnants of Penn Station Tour. Now Justin is a licensed New York City tour guide and continues to develop and lead tours exclusively for Untapped Cities. When he isn’t deep in the bowels of NYC he is busy as Founding Director of the Character Connection Initiative, a non-profit organization that connects character education and mindfulness to middle school curricula.