1913: Woolworth Building
1913: The Reverend S. Parkes Cadman aptly referred to the Woolworth Building as “the Cathedral of Commerce.” Cass Gilbert’s 1913 masterpiece was constructed for F. W. Woolworth to headquarter his five and dime store empire. At 792 feet it towered over New York City. The Gothic detailing on the building’s exterior and lobby are superb. Both the exterior and interior of the building are landmarked. Despite this designation, the building’s lobby is not regularly open to the public as the landmarks law mandates.
Take our upcoming tour of the Woolworth Building lobby on May 16th, normally off-limits to the public: