3. Mother A.M.E. Zion Church — 158 Church Street (Plaque can be found on the corner of Church St. and Leonard St.)
The Mother African Methodist Episcopal Church was the first black church in New York state, founded in 1796. The church, known as the freedom church, became a stop along the Underground Railroad. The church was also a focal point of contemporary black social activism, attended Frederick Douglass, Harriet Tubman and Sojourner Truth. The church relocated to Harlem in 1925 to its present-day location at 140-7 W. 137th Street.
(NOTE: There is a discrepancy in the address–158 Church Street is a couple blocks away from the Leonard Street intersection. Leonard Street, however, is where the plaque is located.)