9. St. Mark’s Church in the Bowery
St. Mark’s Church in the Bowery is the oldest site of continuous worship in New York City and the second oldest church in Manhattan. In 1803, Peter Stuyvesant IV donated a plot east of Second Avenue (between Eleventh and Twelth Streets) for use as a cemetery. The burial ground was used until 1851 and in 1864 the bodies were reinterred in Evergreens Cemetery in Brooklyn. In the 1920s, Frank Lloyd Wright was commissioned to design three high-rise apartment towers to rise over the grave of Peter Stuyvesant, which never left the drawing board.