4. St. Paul’s Chapel, Manhattan (1764)
St. Paul’s Chapel was constructed in 1764, opened in 1766, and designed by Thomas McBean. McBean was inspired by London’s St. Martin in the Fields and the Choragic Monument in Athens. The church possesses George Washington’s pew, where he prayed on his first inauguration day, and “Glory,” a work of art designed by Pierre L’Enfant. The church is part of the parish of Trinity Church and hosts concert series in addition to daily prayer services.
(By some accounts, Fraunces Tavern, which contains George Washington’s tooth, is the oldest building in Manhattan. However, it is not included here because most of the building is a recreation or extreme restoration.)