The Edgar Allan Poe Cottage was built in 1812 in what was then the village of Fordham. At the time, it would have been typical of the working-class homes in the area. In 1844, Poe, his wife, and mother-in-law, moved into the cottage. The Poe family moved out to the country in an attempt to cure Poe’s wife’s tuberculosis. Unfortunately, it was unsuccessful and she died in 1847. After Poe died, his mother-in-law sold the house where he had written works including “Annabel Lee,” “Eureka” and “The Bells.” In 1913, the New York Shakespeare Society raised enough funds to move the house across the street, thereby saving it from destruction. The house is part of the Historic House Trust and is administered by the Bronx Historical Society.