The Grand Central Market unites two adjacent buildings: one on Broadway (1897) and one on Hill Street (1905). Together, they have been operating continuously since 1917. The older building was LA’s first fireproofed and steel-reinforced structure while the newer building was the first reinforced concrete building in Southern California. It housed the Ville de Paris department store, which was one of the city’s largest and finest, until 1917. When the market was renovated in the ’90s, the vintage neon signs were restored and new ones created for the 50+ vending stalls.