4. Loew’s Paradise Theater
The Loew’s Paradise Theater at 2403 Grand Concourse was one of five Wonder Theaters that Lowe’s built in the area. It was designed by John Eberson and opened on September 7, 1929. The Paradise’s auditorium was inspired by a 16th century Italian Baroque garden.
No detail was too small, from the cypress tress, to the murals, to the twinkling stars (they really twinkled) that lined that ceiling. The theater managed to survive through the decades devolving into a triplex with drop ceilings and fake walls, which hid its grandeur. In 2005, the theater was restored and once again serves the Bronx as an important cultural venue.