2. The Ruins of the Academy of Mount St. Vincent and a Tavern in Central Park
These stone walls behind the Conservatory Gardens at 105th Street are the ruins of the 1842 Academy of Mount St. Vincent, today known as McGowan’s Pass. After St. Vincent’s moved out in the 1850s, the original buildings were used for a hotel, a restaurant, and a museum.
The original Mount Saint Vincent buildings burned in 1881, but another tavern was built in its place. The last restaurant at the pass, McGown’s Pass Tavern, was closed and razed in 1915-1917. However its driveways and foundations remain and the Central Park Conservancy uses it as a mulching and composting area.