2. Les Docks de Paris
Dating back to 1907, Les Docks de Paris in the 13th arrondissement was one of the first reinforced concrete buildings to be constructed in the French capital. This very long and very thin warehouse was originally used to store goods transported along the river Seine by barge boat. However, in Paris-based architects Jakob + MacFarlane won a competition to revitalize the building as part of its transformation into a budding cultural centre and home of French fashion institute, Institut Français de la Mode. The pair chose to build a ‘plug over’, a green glass façade shaped like a wave and combined with wood, steel and a grassed roofscape. The result is truly something to behold.