At the intersection of Court Street and the Brooklyn Queens Expressway/Gowanus Parkway in Carroll Gardens sits a little traffic triangle that’s part of the Greenstreets program. Officially called “Cough Triangle,” this strangely named park even has its own listing on the NYC Parks website.
Though some residents joke that Cough Triangle is named after the pollution produced by the elevated BQE, it’s actually named for the surrounding streets. Court Street provides the C-O-U, Garnet provides the G, and the H comes from Hamilton Avenue.
It’s technically categorized as a triangle/plaza in the NYC Parks system, and the 0.03 acre parcel was first acquired by the city of New York in 1940 and was transferred to the Parks in 1942. $5,000 was spent on renovation when it was added as a Greenstreets site under Mayor Guiliani, and features a few benches and landscaping.