3. Fulton Street (Manhattan, Brooklyn)
Though separated by a river so wide no physical crossing existed until 1883, the two Fulton Streets of Manhattan and Brooklyn share an etymological connection. Both are named in honor of inventor Robert Fulton, whose steamboat began to traverse the East River in 1807, linking Lower Manhattan to Fulton Landing in the Town of Brooklyn. Brooklyn’s original street survives today as Old Fulton Street and Cadman Plaza West before banking hard to the east and continuing as Fulton Street (originally, Ferry Road). Unintentionally, both Fultons today are most notably associated with mainstream retail, at South Street Seaport in Manhattan and Fulton Mall in Brooklyn.