In 1847 Edgar Allan Poe moved out to the Bronx was for the sake of his wife, Virginia Clemm, who had contracted tuberculosis. The Bronx did not provide the miracle that Poe was looking for Virginia died later that year. Two years later, when Poe died under mysterious circumstances, Maria Clemm,Poe’s mother-in-law was left in the house by herself. Unable to afford the rent she sold or gave away many of Poe’s possessions and the furnishings of the house.
Between Poe’s death and 1910, the cottage went through a number of different owners, some of whom hoped to save it from destruction. This protection was achieved when the decision was made to move the cottage to a newly created park. The park, named in honor of Poe, was dedicated in November 1913. Due to its location, the cottage suffered much vandalism over the years but its designation as a New York City landmark in 1966 ensured that it was to remain for future generations.