6. William A. Wheelock Mansion
The William W. Wheelcock mansion was once owned by John James Audubon, though much less Victorian in style, built on land purchased in 1841. The Wheelocks lived next to Audubon and helped Audubon’s wife following his death. She sold the property to the Wheelocks in 1862. The countryside mansion gradually became surrounded by row houses as urbanization marched northwards in Manhattan and in 1941 the house was demolished for a housing project.
5th Ave Gilded Age Mansions Tour
Also, read about the Gilded Age Mansions of 5th Avenue’s Millionaire’s Row. This article also written in part by Sabrina Romano.