In 2010, the Ridgewood Intermodal Terminal opened at Myrtle-Wyckoff station on the border of Brooklyn and Queens, line facilitating subway to bus transfers along the L and M lines. The project from the MTA was completed at a cost of $4.5 million, bringing together the numerous bus lines in the area into a small stretch on Palmetto Street, which is open to buses and deliveries only. Much like the newspaper stand that mimics the original Heins and LaFarge fare control station on 72nd Street, the dispatcher booth is a miniature house that is in the same aesthetic as the main house, just across the street.
Head House at the Ridgewood Intermodal Terminal. Photo via Wikimedia by Jim.henderson
The miniature house has a pitched roof and even real “shutters” made of metal.
At the opening of the Ridgewood Intermodal Terminal, the announcement was given in front of the adorable building:
Check out the equally cute 72nd Street newspaper stand shaped to look like a subway entrance from 1904. See more quirky NYC facts and discoveries in our “Daily What?!” series. Submit your own via Twitter with the hashtag #DailyWhat.Get in touch with the author @untappedmich.