2. The Bridewell at City Hall
Image from New York Public Library
Before Newgate, The Bridewell at City Hall was a combination workhouse, jail and prison. In 1797, the first 70 convicts with terms greater than 3 years were transferred from Bridewell to Newgate. There are artifacts unearthed from the almshouse and barracks at City Hall at the Archaeological Repository, seen here.