Earlier this year we watched as the scaffolding went up on the only surviving watchtower in Manhattan. The Harlem Fire Watchtower, built between 1855 and 1857, is located in Marcus Garvey Park at the end of Fifth Avenue on 120th Street in Harlem. Over the course of the last few month, the tower, including the 10,000 pound bell, was taken down. The following are photos we took over the past few months, during the dismantling.
Below is a photo taken this month, after the scaffolding came down and everything removed. The restoration and return of the watchtower is expected during the summer of 2017. In the meantime, the Acropolis will remain active with a number of programs already planned including a pop-up art installation on May 31st and a public art installation later this summer.