2. The Church’s Plot of Land Was Bought from The King of England for 60 Bushels of Wheat a Year
Trinity Church in 1846. Image via Wikimedia Commons
The church’s original land grand supplied by William III, of Holland, called for a yearly payment of 60 bushels of wheat especially for the king. When Queen Elizabeth II visited the church in 1976, she was presented with a ‘back rent’ of 279 peppercorns. Apparently, the crown had not been paid its annual fee for quite some time.