15. Canal Street (IRT) Station

The spire of St. John’s Chapel dots the walls of the Canal Street Subway Station. St. John’s Chapel was constructed in 1803 and was designed by John McComb Jr. (who was also responsible for designing City Hall, Hamilton Grange, and St. Mark’s Church in-the-Bowery amongst others). It was modeled on London’s St. Martin-in-the-Fields. The chapel was demolished in 1918 and was considered to be one of the early losses of the proto-preservation movement in New York City.