17. Whitehall (BMT) Station

The terra cotta tiles in the Whitehall Subway Station depict the eponymous Whitehall. White Hall was erected in 1658 as Governor Peter Stuyvesant’s house on what is now the corner of Pear and Whitehall Streets. The house acquired its name from the English Governor General Thomas Dongan, who derisively called it White Hall because of its whitewashed walls. The house, which is now remembered in this subway station and street name was destroyed by fire in 1715.