3. Murphy’s Brother’s Playground, Avenue C Loop
The Department of Parks received land for Murphy’s Brother’s Playground (also called “Murphy Park”) in 1903. The department developed it over time, naming it the “17th Street Park” in its early years. It has been called three different names since its creation. Aside from fields, hopscotch, and a basketball court, the park also has four Norway maple trees in the playground.
The park was named after John J. Murphy, who was a Democratic Assembly leader for the 12th district. In 1985, however, new park signage started to honor Murphy’s accomplished brother Charles, rather than John. Nine years later, children and community leaders gathered to rededicate the park to both brothers.