8. Temple Court Was Initially Called the Kelly Building
In 1881, Irish developer Eugene Kelly built the current standing structure as a place for offices. The Irish millionaire banker migrated to the United States in 1835, initially pursuing business opportunities in San Francisco and Savannah. He also helped build St. Patrick’s Cathedral, where he is buried at the Lady Chapel today. Benjamin Silliman, Jr. and James M. Farnsworth were the architects. By the time he died, he was worth $630 million, based on nineteenth century standards.
The Kelly Building became “Temple Court” soon after. Why? The new name came from London’s Temple legal district. The renovated building will be called the Beekman Residences, since developers felt people would confusedly associate religious connotations with “Temple Court.”