4. It Was Once Home to a Huge Power Plant and Several Slaughterhouses
The end of the Civil War saw the disappearance of the natural landscape Edgar Allan Poe loved so much: brownstones sprouted rapidly and the waterfront transformed into an industrial sinkhole by 1868. These industrial buildings included the Waterside Station on the southern border of Turtle Bay, which was a coal-powered Con Edison plant that generated 367,000 kilowatts of electricity.
The six blocks of slaughterhouses (or 18 acres) lined First Avenue and the elevated train lines along 2nd and 3rd Avenues put many Turtle Bay homes into disrepair.