10. Saint George Branch Library, Staten Island
The Saint George Branch library was built by the architectural firm of Carrere & Hastings in 1907. Located at 5 Central Avenue, it is the largest library on Staten Island. In 1952, a large north rear addition was added to the original building, with additional renovations in 1963 and 1986. During these renovations, it maintained its timber wood trusses and beams on the top floor. This is a detail found in many of the Staten Island Carnegie libraries. It also features stained glass windows behind the circulation desk by New York artist, David Wilson, and through the clear lower panes is a view of New York harbor. The building is not landmarked.