12. Franklin Avenue Library, Brooklyn
The 496 Franklin Avenue library was built by the architectural firm of Lord & Hewlett in 1905. The Bedford Library was the first branch of the Brooklyn Public Library system, which opened in 1887 within the old PS 3 on Bedford Avenue. After moving to Brevoort Place in 1899, and Avon Hall in 1902, the library finally had its own building – a Carnegie building – in 1905. The March 1903 issue of Library Journal featured an article showing the Bedford and Williamsburg plans as great examples of design. The building is not landmarked.