13. Pacific Branch Library, Brooklyn
The 25 4th Avenue library was built by the architect Raymond F. Almirall in 1903. Known as the Pacific Branch library, it was the first Carnegie library constructed in Brooklyn. The building sustained damage as a result of subway construction in 1914, and two fires – one in 1917 and another in 1973, which slated it for demolition. But the Boerum Hill residents banded together to save the ailing Pacific Branch, and it was restored by 1975, including the 1939 WPA mural series and historic fireplace with green tiles. The building is not landmarked.