16. Poppenhusen Library, Queens
The Queens Poppenhusen Library, located at 121-23 14th Avenue and 13-16 College Point Boulevard, was built by the architectural firm of Heins & LaFarge in 1904. It was the second Carnegie library completed in Queens. This architectural firm is best known for its plans for the earliest New York City subway stations, the first section of the Cathedral of St. John the Divine, and seven buildings for the Bronx Zoo. The College Point community donated the land for this library, and in 1903, the Poppenhusen Institute donated its 3,250 books (with the condition that the building bear its name). It was renovated in the 1930s with WPA funds. The Poppenhusen branch is a designated New York City landmark and has been seen in scenes from Boardwalk Empire.