3. Globe Square
“Looking Down Greenwich Street Toward Globe Square.” Electrical New York (1916)
In the tradition of Times and Herald Squares, Dey Street west of Greenwich Street was co-named Globe Square by the City in 1911 in honor of the New York Globe and Commercial Advertiser newspaper, which had its headquarters there. After the Globe closed and the New York Evening Telegram moved into the old Globe building, the City renamed the area Telegram Square in 1924.
The building in the distance, with the smokestacks, was a coal-fired power plant of the New York Steam Company.
This entire area was cleared for the construction of the original World Trade Center in the 1960s and today the 9/11 Memorial Museum stands in the approximate location of Globe Square.