4. Old St. John’s Church
“Old St. John’s in Varick Street.” Electrical New York (1916)
St. John’s Chapel was an Episcopalian church on Varick Street dating from about 1807. By the early 1900s, the once posh residential area was industrial and the City was planning to widen Varick Street. Despite a campaign to save the historic and much loved building, it was torn down two years after the publication of this drawing.