2. The Laboratory/Administration Building Is An NYC Landmark
The Laboratory/Administration Building was made New York Landmark in 2007 because it is the most significant building from the garden’s first phase of development. Built between 1912 and 1916, the building is modeled after small churches in the Lombardy region of Italy and is constructed in a Greek cross design with a cupola at the center.
The building was designed by the William Kendall, a part of the famous renowned architectural firm McKim, Mead & White, which makes this building a significant part of the firm’s late work. The Olmsted Brothers’ firm worked with McKim, Mead & White to site the administration building, along with conservatories, and various gardens in the new botanic garden.
Originally, the building housed a physiological laboratory, elementary laboratory, photographic operating room and dark room, research rooms, assembly rooms, and a basement for storage. Today, it operates as botanical and horticultural library, and has a visitors center, auditorium, and administrative offices.