3. An Original French Second Empire Facade Is Still Visible on the Current Store
In 1886, the store moved to 3rd Avenue between 59th and 60th Street, but growing demand necessitated more expansion and the rest of the block was bought over the next 15 years. But despite renovation into an Art Deco style in the 1930s, two French Empire style portions still remain between the two larger portions of the block.
The vintage photograph below provides a glimpse of what 60th Street looked like. It seems that this side has always been utilized as a loading dock (albeit with horse and carriage back then). There are two French Empire style buildings about halfway down the block. The rest of the block, moving towards Lexington Avenue, was demolished to make way for the Art Deco-style department store we know today.
The words “BLOOMINGDALE BROTHERS” is also still visible on this facade: