9. The Park Avenue Armory Was Originally Built as a Three-Story Building
Park Avenue Armory image. In public domain from New York State Military Museum
The original Park Avenue Armory was built in 1877-1881. In 1909, significant changes were made, adding a fourth and fifth floor, removing the bell tower, and giving the facade the feeling of a fortress. The armories of that time were looked upon as symbols of law and order, and it was felt that these changes represented that image.