3. Fort George Amusement Park Was Built Near Highbridge Park

Located in the northernmost end of Highbridge Park, Fort George Amusement Park was known by some as Harlem’s Coney Island. The amusement park opened in 1895 between 190th and 192nd Streets on Amsterdam Avenue. In the area called Paradise Park, it featured two Ferris Wheels, three roller coasters, a casino and other attractions. The park burned down in 1913, and was not rebuilt. Though the amusement park is long gone, Fort George Playground still stands in the same area.