9. Bronx Community College’s Current Location Used to Be Part of New York University
A photograph of the campus circa 1904 when it was part of New York University. Photo from Library of Congress.
In the late 1800s and early 1900s, a number of senior colleges in New York City were moving their campuses uptown in search of more space for the growing number of students enrolling. Columbia University moved its campus from 49th Street to Morningside Heights and the City College of New York moved from 23rd Street to Hamilton Heights. NYU eventually followed suit and moved its undergraduate college and engineering school to the University Heights area, but in 1973, the New York State Dorm Authority gained possession of the property as the school was experiencing a possible bankruptcy.
Beginning in the fall of 1973, all Bronx Community College classes took place at its new campus.