8. There Was a Mansion on the Bronx Community College Campus
Butler Hall, former Mali Mansion, built about 1859
Mali Mansion belonged to Henry W.T. Mali, a consul of Belgian and NYU graduate, and was built around 1859. The mansion was later converted to Charles Butler Hall, the first dormitory on the NYU Campus. The dorms had 22 rooms in total and could house up to 30 students. At the time, only men were allowed to attend the University Heights campus, and they had the choice to live in Butler Hall, Gould Hall or “table board” with private families in the area.