3. The Merchant’s House Museum Has Over 2,500 Objects from the Tredwell Family’s Possessions
The Merchant’s House Museum was built in 1832 and was purchased by wealthy merchant Seabury Tredwell, after working 32 years in the hardware business. Tredwell lived in his East 4th Street home until his death in 1865, and three of his children, Phebe, Julia and Gertrude continued to live in their family home. Gertrude was the last of the Tredwells to live in the Old Merchant’s House, dying in an upstairs bedroom at the age of 93. The house was converted into a museum in 1936. Information about tours of the Museum can be found here.