2. Florence Prime Meat Market
Florence Prime was originally opened in 1936 by an Italian immigrant, Jack Ubaldi. When World War II started, Jack put a sign in the window reading “Closed Until The Ware Is Over” and so it was until he returned in 1946. In 1975, Jack sold to a long-time employee, Tony Pellegrino who went on to run the shop for twenty years before selling to Benny Pizzuco, the current owner. Located at 5 Jones Street in Greenwich Village, Florence Prime still has saw-dust on the floor.