7. John J. Harvey Fireboat
In the 1920s, the FDNY had a fleet of ten steam fireboats that it used, but the fleet began to age after ten years. A new fireboat, the John J. Harvey, was built to supplement, and eventually replace these steam boats. Plans to build the boat were drawn up in 1928, and by 1930 the Todd Shipbuilding Plant started the ship’s construction. According to fireboat.org, John. J Harvey is one of the most powerful fireboats ever built, measuring in at 130 feet long and 268 net tons. The fireboat had the capacity to pump out 18,000 gallons of water a minute. In 1931, the boat was commissioned and served the FDNY until 1994. In 1999, it was bought by a number of owners who boat host tours up the Hudson and the Long Island Sound. The retired boat was temporarily recommissioned following September 11, 2001.
Currently, the boat is housed at Pier 66 Maritime on the Hudson River, as is the former Frying Pan lightship.