2. Abram S. Hewitt
In the early 20th century, the New York Fire Department used predominantly coal-powered ships, including the Abram H. Hewitt, named for the former New York mayor of the same name. The boat served the FDNY from 1903 to 1958 and was the last coal-powered vessel owned by the fire department. The Hewitt was the first FDNY boat to be called when the PS General Slocum caught on fire in 1904, when thousands of passengers lost their lives. After it was decommissioned, the former FDNY ship was taken to the Arthur Kill Ship Graveyard in Staten Island, New York.