4. Jefferson Market Garden
This Greenwich Village garden was opened in the spring of 1975, but prior to that, the area in which the garden is located has had a long and colorful history. According to the website, the Jefferson Market was leveled in 1873 to make room for the new courthouse that was to be built there. The courthouse was designed by Calvert Vaux.
The area where the women’s prison used to be was converted into the current Jefferson Market Garden in 1975 by a committee of local Village residents. Currently the garden hosts events including free concerts, art exhibitions, garden parties and harvest festivals.