7. There Is Another Lost Airport Just Across the Street
Just southwest of LaGuardia Airport, across Grand Central Parkway, was Holmes Airport, and when it first opened was the only airport within the city, an advertisement claims. The 220 acre tract, today home to the Bulova Corporate Center, included two hangars, an office, two gravel runways, a flight school and a Good Year blimp hangar.
Though Holmes Airport targeted mail planes and freight (and could transport mail to the city via pneumatic tubes allegedly), it was unable to halt or compete with LaGuardia. Holmes Airport would close a year after the opening of LaGuardia Airport in 1939.