4. The Whitestone Bridge Used to Have Pedestrian Walkways
Lanes of the Bronx-Whitestone Bridge. Photo via MTA
When the Bronx–Whitestone Bridge first opened to traffic in 1939, it featured pedestrian walkways and four lanes for vehicles. The walkways were removed after a 1943 windstorm temporarily shut the bridge down. Following the incident, two more traffic lanes were added and the existing lanes were widened.
To help bicyclists cross the bridge, QBx1 buses utilized front-mounted bike racks. However, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority eliminated the racks after absorbing the bus routes, which were formerly operated by the Queens Surface Corporation. Bicyclists must now use the Triborough Bridge.