11. Martin Erdmann Residence, 57 East 57th Street
Like the Minnie E. Young Residence, the Martin Erdmann House at 57 East 57th Street arose out of a period of Gilded Age wealth that found architectural manifestations in the East Midtown area in the early 20th century. Built in 1908-09, the five-story English Renaissance Revival town house was originally owned by Martin Erdmann, a partner in the banking firm Speyer & Company, who used it to house his art and antique collection.
After his death in 1937, the house was used as the headquarters for the American Institute of Physics. Since 1957, however, it has been owned by The Friars Club, a private social club largely comprised of celebrities in the entertainment industry.