5. Riverside Church’s Organ is the 14th Largest in the World
The original chancel and gallery organs for the Riverside Church were built by Hook and Hastings of Boston. In 1948 a new five-manual Aeolian-skinner chancel console was built. In 1967, Anthony A. Bufano built a new five-manual console, while at around the same time major tonal revisions were made. While the chancel console was being built, a second-hand Austin console was installed in the chancel.
A last cleaning was done in 1995-1996 when organ curator Robert Pearson supervised a complete cleaning, tuning and re-voicing of the organ to suit the new acoustical environment of the church.