Here’s what the Untapped staff is reading in the HQ today:
- City Zoos are Fighting Over Who Has the Cutest Animals on Twitter [DNA Info]: To help lighten the mood a bit, the city’s zoos are flooding our Twitter feeds in a fight over who has the cutest baby animal photos.The furry, fluffy, squee-worthy social media war with zoos nationwide started with a tweet from the Smithsonian National Zoo about the birth of a gray seal pup.
- The Urban Lens: Inside Village East Cinema [6sqft]: Moviegoers at the Village East Cinema located on 181 Second Avenue may be surprised to learn that they are visiting a recently restored New York City designated landmark. The Village East Cinema has a fascinating history as one of the last surviving “Yiddish Rialto” theaters along Second Avenue in the East Village. (Untapped previously).
- Trump Supporter Attacks Muslim Airport Worker at JFK [Time]: A Massachusetts man is accused of attacking a Muslim airline employee at New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport, allegedly kicking and shouting obscenities at the woman and telling her that President Donald Trump “will get rid of all of you,” authorities said.
- New Look at Richard Rogers’ Under Construction 3 World Trade Center [Curbed NY]: Three World Trade Center, the 80-story glass behemoth designed by Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners, topped out way back in June, and since then workers have been busy putting up the building’s innocuous, glassy facade. A few photos of the tower appeared in the Curbed Flickr Feed, courtesy of NyConstructionPhoto, showing just how far exterior work has come along.
Today’s popular Untapped Cities reads:
- Remains of the 17th Century Lovelace Tavern in NYC’s Financial District
- 11 Outdoor Art Installations and Exhibits not to Miss in NYC in February
- 10 Abandoned Movie Theaters in NYC & NJ