Here is what the Untapped staff is reading in the HQ today:
- United Palace Owners ‘Seeking to Overturn’ Landmark Designation [DNAinfo]: The United Palace Theater’s owners announced they’re “seeking to overturn” the decision to landmark the building, even though that process isn’t finished, and are calling on the community to support them. Xavier Eikerenkoetter, president of the United Palace, appeared before Community Board 12 Tuesday night and said his family purchased the United Palace almost 50 years ago, “saved it from demolition, refurbished it and restored it.”
- Scope out City’s New Ferry System in Miniature Form, before its summer launch [Curbed NY]: Before you decide to take a ride on the Citywide Ferry when it gets underway this summer, you can get a sense of what one of the fleet’s 19 boats will look like at Brooklyn Borough Hall. Partnering with Borough President Eric Adams’ office, the city’s Economic Development Corporation has placed a scale model of one of the vessels in the lobby of the building. Read more of the latest about Citywide Ferry here.
- Streetcha Ukrainian Kitchen Now Open Daily [EV Grieve]: Streecha Ukrainian Kitchen, the basement cafe that serves as a fundraising arm of the St George Ukrainian Catholic Church just up East Seventh Street, has expanded its hours. They are now open daily here at 33 E. Seventh St. between Second Avenue and Cooper Square. Streetcha is one of the locations in the Untapped Cities book New York Hidden Bars & Restaurants. Get a copy from our shop here.
- Build Bridges Not Walls Banner Hung from Manhattan Bridge [Gothamist]: A large banner criticizing President Trump’s policies was just hung from the Manhattan Bridge early Monday morning. The banner hangs over DUMBO on the Brooklyn side and reads: “Build Bridges, Not Walls,” and also includes “#NoBanNoWall.” By 8:30 a.m. the wind had blown it up.
Today’s popular Untapped Cities reads:
- NYC Film Locations for Homeland Season 6
- 27 Historic Estates to Visit in the Hudson Valley
- The Gilded Age Mansions on Fifth Avenue