Here’s what the Untapped staff is reading in the HQ today:
- Kosciuszko Bridge Implosion Plans Sparks Fear Among Greenpoint Residents [Curbed NY]: Residents of Greenpoint had to learn of plans to dynamite parts of the Kosciuszko Bridge during construction, to make way for a new and improved bridge, through the press and they are not happy. Their concerns are legitimized, stating that they were not given prior notice of the plans before they became public and more importantly, they are concerned on the impact that the implosion will have on the neighborhood’s already polluted environment.
- On an Underground Railroad Tour of NYC, Lessons in Resistance [NY Times]: As a person of color, as a woman, as a body moving through this particular space in time, I realize the streets of New York tell the story of resistance, an African-American history of brilliance and beauty, that even in its most brutal moments, did not, could not, kill our resilient and powerful spirit. [Also check out our guide to Underground Railroad spots in NYC]
- Otherworldly Architecture in Japan’s Magical Mountainside [NY Times]: The mountain town of Karuizawa is about an hour’s train ride northwest of Tokyo, a journey that zooms past the small, heartbreaking scenes of beauty that any traveler here knows, an endlessly repeating pattern of fragile persimmon trees, their unlovely black branches sagging with dusty orange fruit; splintered wooden torii gates, their vermilion paint bleached to a fleshy pink; tin-roofed factories and squat apartment buildings, their patios hung with laundry
- The LaGuardia Airtrain is still happening, for some reason [Second Ave Sagas]: The Laguardia AirTrain is the stubborn bad idea that just won’t die. It came out of nowhere in early 2015, and while it could have been a good idea pushed by a strong state leader, Cuomo’s plan sent the AirTrain in the wrong direction. The system would connect LaGuardia with the 7 train and LIRR at Willets Point. So while most LaGuardia travelers just want to get to Manhattan, this thing will take them further away from where they want to go.
Today’s popular Untapped Cities reads:
- 12 art installations not to miss in NYC in March
- NYC Day Trip: 10 Historical Sites in Princeton, NJ
- The Gritty History of the Elk Hotel in Times Square