2. 7 New York City Monuments Dedicated to Women
Frances Hodgson Burnett Memorial Fountain, created by sculptor, Bessie Potter Vonnoh, is a tribute to the author of the children’s book, The Secret Garden. The sculpture is currently out for repair, but will be back in time for the Conservatory Garden’s annual fund-raising event on May 1st.
The Eleanor Roosevelt Monument, by artist Penelope Jencks, was dedicated in 1996 at 72nd Street and Riverside Park. Hillary Rodham Clinton, who was the First Lady of the United States at the time, was in attendance for the event.
The Gertrude Stein sculpture was installed in Bryant Park in 1992, based on a model made by Jo Davidson in Paris in 1923. Sitting behind the New York Public Library, near 41st Street, the statue honors the significant literary contributions of American author and arts patron, Gertrude Stein.
The city’s first public memorial dedicated to a woman—the pink granite Josephine Shaw Lowell Memorial Fountain—is located on the Sixth Avenue side of Bryant Park. Dedicated in 1912, the fountain was designed by Charles Adams Platt. Josephine Shaw Lowell was a social worker and the founder of the Charity Organization Society.
The Golda Meir sculpture disappeared for a while, but has returned to the Golda Meir Memorial Square between 39th and 40th Streets on Broadway. The bust was commissioned by the Jewish Community Relations Council of NYC (JCRC), and the City of New York. The Plaza appears to be under renovation, as the bust is oddly situated in one of the raised gardens. While you’re there, you might enjoy A Fancy Animal Carnival, on view through April, 2017.
Swing Low: Harriet Tubman Memorial Sculpture by artist Alison Saar honors the legacy of Harriet Tubman and her fight against slavery. On the skirt, viewers will notice symbols of anonymous passengers of the Underground Railroad. In addition, the granite base of the monument holds bronze tiles, depicting events in Tubman’s life. Swing Low, which stands at the crossroads of St. Nicholas Avenue, West 122nd Street and Frederick Douglass Boulevard in Harlem, is part of the Department of Cultural Affairs’ Percent for Art Program.
The Joan of Arc Statue by artist Anna Vaughn Hyatt Huntington was dedicated in 1915. The pedestal was designed by architect, John Van Pelt, and is located at the top of the steps in the Riverside Park island at 93rd Street. The statue was part of an Adopt-a-Monument Program in 1987, which was a joint partnership between the Municipal Art Society (MAS), the Department of Parks & Recreation, and the Art Commission of the City of New York.