8. Casino Theater

Photo from Library of Congress

Located on Broadway at Thirty-ninth Street, the Casino Theater was the first theater in what is now considered the Broadway District. Back when the Casino Theater was built, the theater district was between 23rd Street and Union Square. Casino Theater was built for Rudolph Aronson and opened on October 21, 1882. The theater caught on fire in 1905 and the Shuberts, who took over two years prior, had to rebuild.

After the fire, Casino Theater put on the hit musical The Earl and the Girl. The theater did well for itself during its initial three decades but there were many newer theaters that had been built in the area and the Casino Theater was torn down in February of 1930 and turned into clothing stores.